Tuesday, September 20, 2011

So yummy!

Last night was cream corn night. No, not eating it, making it.

Honestly, I had no idea you could make and freeze cream corn until I had the privilege of eating some created by a friend of mine. I’ve tweaked her recipe for my own tastes and here it is.

18 cups of blanched corn
1 ½ cup butter
2 ½ cup cream
1 cup sugar

Mix and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Run through a blender or food processor, adding a little more cream if necessary, scoop into freezer bags in meal sized servings, freeze.

I did 54 cups of corn and came out with 24 meals worth of cream corn. SO YUMMY!!  And I KNOW its gluten free because I made it from scratch.

The challenge in this recipe is not in the baking and bagging. It’s in the peeling, blanching and husking of the corn. Mr. Amazing harvested and peeled the corn for me. Then he blanched it all while I took our youngest to a trial karate class. My job was the husking and baking.

Well, a couple of years back I bought a corn husker from Pampered chef. It took me about two cobs to figure it out but man is that thing slick! And sharp! I almost lost fingertips three different times. But all and all it only took me about an hour to husk 54 cups of corn.

Cost for ingredients – about $10.
Time spent, about 2 ½ hours from garden to freezer.
Grocery savings – about 50 cans of cream corn at about $1.50 can = $85

That is a win. J

No comments: